January 28, 2011

Oprah speaking the truth

Yesterday, Oprah dedicated a show just to military families.  See the link below:

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2011/01/ap-michelle-obama-honors-military-families-on-oprah-012711/

She called out to America to wake up and realize the sacrifices that military families and Service Members are making on an everyday basis. I am guessing that everyone who follows this blog is related to the military somehow. You are either married to the military or you know someone who is connected to the military. But, this wasn't for those people. This show was for the rest of America who have decided to turn their heads when they see anything related to the military. Yes, you exist. You fight for rights and yet you never thank the very soldiers who are fighting for you to have that right. When you hear about Blue Star families and Gold Star families you turn your ear the other way. You enjoy being secluded in your little world.

I am not saying that you need to bow to someone in uniform or pay for a soldier's meal when you are out to dinner. I AM saying that you should thank him/her. You should thank his/her spouse AND children. Because, we sacrifice too. We take care of the house, the kids, finances, vehicles, taxes, pets, work, etc. so that our husbands/wives can go out and fight for the right for that stupid church to protest at funerals. I wear many, many hats, and I love it. Yes, I "knew what you were getting into" but did I really? Did I know that we would move FIVE times in six years or that Joe would deploy THREE times in six years? No, we didn't know that. But, we have embraced it. Because, we understand how important it is. This is Joe's calling and he is fighting in Afghanistan so that you don't have to. Does it seriously take too much of an effort to help a Soldier out?

They get paid crap, they work 12-18 hour days (without overtime and vacation), and they poop in bags( please see: http://mroszczyksbrainfartcatcher.blogspot.com/). Yes, there are plenty of benefits but tell those soldiers after being in a war zone, where they sleep on cots, for 12 months.

And, may I also mention our Wounded Warriors? The ones who come back missing body parts, have TBIs, are blind, and have watched their battle buddies die gruesome deaths. They have to restart their lives and are often sent out into the "real world" with no support. Yes, the Army is trying to work on that, but what about the Reserve and National Guard soldiers? They need YOUR love and support. They need hugs. They could use financial help. Could you spare some change, or more, to say thank you?

Finally, let me mention our Gold Star families. Do you even know what that means? These families gave the ultimate sacrifice: their Service Member. In my job, (well in transition right now) I work with these families on a daily basis. They are the most remarkable people that I have ever met. Yes, some are angry but the majority are so damn proud of their loved ones and they don't want ANYONE to ever forget their son, daughter, husband, wife, brother, sister, grandson, grandaughter.

DON'T FORGET AND NEVER BECOME COMPLACENT.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    I loved this post. I'm continuously shocked at how many *military* people don't know what I refer to when I say WTU or "Gold Star Family/Spouse/Mom". *sigh*

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make blogging worthwhile, so please don't be shy! I read every comment and will do my best to respond to your questions. If you need to reach me sooner, please email me at peanut.stitches@gmail.com.