February 2, 2011

Moments to remember

On the day that Joe left, he leaned down to Peanut and told him to "take care of Mommy". Yes, there have been days that Peanut has tested my every nerve.  He has thrown tantrums, told me "no" more times than I can count, and I swear he has brought home numerous germs from school thus resulting in my current double-ear infection and sinus infection.

But, for all of those negatives, the kid has truly been my little Joe

I can be cooking in the kitchen and he will come in to say, "Mommy, I love you"-just like Joe.

Peanut wants to snuggle on the couch and will occasionally reach over and give me a kiss on the cheek-just like Joe.

He has now taken to linking his hands together with mine while we are sitting on the couch, walking somewhere, and during our bedtime routine-just like Joe.

Tonight, as Peanut was emptying his plate into the garbage, he turned to me and said, "Mommy, thank you so, SO much for making me this food!" Uh, what was that??

And the moments that have made my heart lurch? Last week, when I was sad about being sick and missing Joe, Porter turned to me and said, "Mommy, it's ok, it is going to be ok. Daddy will come back" Oh baby boy...

And, finally, the grand finale of it all? During our nightly bedtime routine, Peanut gets to hear a book and listen to Daddy say our prayer and sing a song (via the voice recorder on my phone-thank you Sprint Evo!).  After that, we snuggle for "a few minutes" and I rub Peanut's head. One night, after I had a hard day, Porter reached over and stroked my cheek and told me that he loved me. Tears streamed down my cheek. He knew. He knew that I needed that.

We may not have Joe here with us in the physical form, but I have his mini-me.  And, that is what gets me through the day.

4 comments:

  1. You just brought tears into my eyes. What a great son you are raising!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey robyn! thanks for coming over and following my blog! I think your is absolutely adorable! You are soooooo crafty, and I am in total support of an etsy shop:-) I look forward to following you!
    ~Erin (journeyoflifeandluv.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO special! Thanks for finding me...I love your blog too and am a new reader! :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make blogging worthwhile, so please don't be shy! I read every comment and will do my best to respond to your questions. If you need to reach me sooner, please email me at peanut.stitches@gmail.com.