February 15, 2011

Happy Valentine's Day from Afghanistan


For 14 years, Joe and I have celebrated Valentine's Day from here, there, and everywhere.  This year was no exception as we have are separated by about 7,000 miles. And yet, Joe still finds a way to make my heart beat faster.

While I was running 2 miles this morning, I heard the dogs going nuts and figured that someone must be at the door. So, I hopped off the treadmill (don't worry, I made up that missed distance), and ran up the stairs and opened the door to our good friend James. He was holding a beautiful vase of red roses and an enormous box of Whitman Sampler! *would like to note that I looked like a drenched rat who had been taken out into the alley and beaten* He gave me a hug and said, "Joe told me to get the biggest box to make up for being deployed." Oh my gosh. Oh! And, I do have to say the card was extra special as well!

Then, as I was writing this gushy post on Facebook, I got a phone call from my Valentine! He normally doesn't call that early in the morning so it was extra special. He told me to go on my favorite site of all time, http://www.cricutmachine.com/ and buy whatever I wanted! Eeek! I contained myself and bought the Tie the Knot, Batman, and Calligraphy cartridges! It was free shipping after all...

My mom and sister sent us some great packages with chocolates, puzzles, and toys. Megan...you know I love Tolberones! Thank you so much!! And, my dad got Porter a DVD series of Howdy Doody! I am curious to see if he will like it!

After I got gussied up, I took Porter out on our own Valentine's day date. He is my other Valentine after all! Of course, I thought it was a good idea to get his haircut first (and we had to bring along mini flat daddy)...

 Bad idea. She completely shaved his head.

After crying my eyes out, I got over it and headed out for lunch. Porter has had the stomach bug for the last few days so I wasn't sure how he would handle eating out. But, he wanted to go to Red Lobster for "crab legs" so how could I say no??

Porter took this!

Porter ate about two bites and had to go to the bathroom  twice. Not the best lunch, but this was the first time that I have taken him to a sit down, real restaurant EVER!

*Must add....watching David Letterman and Tom Brokov (sp?) is wearing a corduroy suit...no buddy, no...*

We ran some other errands and headed home where we were greeted by my dear friend, Angela (who was rocking some HOT boots that her awesome deployed husband bought her). She was carrying this GORGEOUS bouquet from Edible Arrangements! Joe had sent her a message saying that I loved fruit and that he was wondering if she could help him out. I cannot thank her enough for going all the way to Louisville (or further, idk) to pick this up especially when her own husband is deployed. Thank you so much...I don't know what I am going to do when you leave :(

The rest of the day involved putting puzzles together, working on craft orders, laundry, making dinner and getting a surprise visit by our good friend, Ayse! She brought Porter some awesome flashcards which he breezed through! It was nuts! Thank you so much for being such a great friend Ayse.

I thoroughly believe that this was the best Valentine's Day ever. I have so many amazing friends and family who made a point to make this a special day. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

And, most importantly, thank you to my amazing Joe. 14 Valentine's days and here is to 50+ more. I love you with all of my heart. I can't wait for next year when we can be together!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make blogging worthwhile, so please don't be shy! I read every comment and will do my best to respond to your questions. If you need to reach me sooner, please email me at peanut.stitches@gmail.com.