February 26, 2011

Are you a hoarder?

I finally had some time tonight to sit down and watch tv, and I couldn't find anything that I really wanted to watch! I settled on Hoarders and was transfixed for two full hours! The first episode showed a woman with TONS of animals in cages in her home that were dying left and right. She looked like a hot mess, and her family reminded me of the people who live in Army towns and are not in the Army (for my military friends, I am sure that you know what I am talking about). Gosh, she was awful.

The second episode dealt with one couple whose house was a disaster zone. The dad had to sleep in a car, because there was not enough room in the house. The second person profiled was this Grandmother who lost her husband and became a hoarder. She was known to be a klepto and stole from her children. But, she was so sweet. I teared up a couple of times when her daughter was yelling at her. You could tell that she had an illness but didn't know how to handle it. She was the success of the show. She saw what her hoarding was doing to her family, and she made a point to clean up her life. She was throwing stuff away left and right just to be able to have her family be around. It was really awesome to see. 

I couldn't imagine living like that. Could you? To not be able to walk in the house...to have garbage everywhere. It makes you angry to see but also so incredibly sad for those families.

Do you know a hoarder?

3 comments:

  1. Hoarding makes me so sad. It's so deeply rooted in anxiety and other mental illness, and the people who are hoarding are generally also unable to afford mental health care, particularly if they live in rural areas where it's not available. The saddest part, I think, is that they goes years alienating their families and friends with their behavior and symptoms, and then a few months on anti-anxiety/antidepressant meds usually clears it right up.

    The animal hoarding is the worst part. And particularly with cats, the symptoms are usually related to toxoplasmosis but the person who is affected is so alienated from her (usually) community as a result of her symptoms that she often never gets help for it.

    I totally can't watch that show. I'm so glad you were able to see that grandmother's strength and feel compassion for her when her daughter was yelling at her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that show! You should watch "Animal Hoarders". It is very disturbing, but it makes me feel like my house is super clean! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That show makes me CLEAN!!! I can't stand even seeing one piece of mail on the counter, so I can't imagine a house full of 'stuff!'

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make blogging worthwhile, so please don't be shy! I read every comment and will do my best to respond to your questions. If you need to reach me sooner, please email me at peanut.stitches@gmail.com.